Power Fruits and Veggies
Summer is right around the corner, hopefully you are lucky enough to have a local co-op or farmer’s market close by to load up on the summer’s bounty. Fresh fruits and vegetables are low-calorie and packed with healthy nutrients and flavor.
- Tomatoes- are loaded with potassium, vitamin A, C and Biotin and are widely known as an outstanding antioxidant. The smaller…the better it is for you. When choosing your tomatoes, your best bet is cherry tomatoes, which contains 20 times more lycopene than larger species.
- Asparagus– is a great source of fiber, folate ,and an array of vitamins including A, C, E and K and is also known for its anti-aging properties.
- Spinach-Along with other green leafy vegetables such as kale, Swiss chard, turnip, mustard and collard green are great sources of vitamin C, K and A, folate.
- Broccoli– this favorite is packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Contains powerful antioxidants that may improve your odds of cancers and heart disease.
- Brussels sprouts- are not only low in calories but full of important disease fighting nutrients and fiber.
- Cabbage packs vitamins, minerals, fibers, rich in iron, fiber, folate and potassium in to every bite, great in slaw, salad and stir- fry.
- Kale-is also a great source of important vitamins, folic acid, and manganese, additional benefit Kale assists to regulate blood sugar levels and is vital in maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Garlic- has many benefits. makes foods taste good, fights pesky colds, battles cancer and may even prevent urinary tract infections.
- Carrots- are very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. It is also a good source of thiamin, niacin, vitamin B6, folate and manganese, and a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, and potassium.
- Melons-Watermelon, Cantaloupe and Honeydew- these all time favorites are deliciously sweet, low in calorie and loaded with goodness for your health. Try a serving once a day, preferably at breakfast for an assortment of nutrients that will energize you throughout the day.
- Berries- Take your pick, be it Blueberries, Blackberries, Cranberries, Strawberries, Raspberries or try the newest kid on the block Acai Berry. Berries are crammed full of antioxidants and helps to protect against heart disease, cancer and also protect our bones.
Go for it! Feast on these plentiful summer’s bounty and grab yourself a bunch of good heath and energy!